JellyPages.com | Books

Thursday 12 March 2009

Men Dont Cry Or Do They

Men Dont Cry Or Do They
[Originally posted at Natural Options Cafe]

When I was ever-increasing up, I was told that boys don't cry. I was told that no matter how tired I was, I requirement suck it up and keep separation. I was told that emotions are for girls. I was told that men are challenging. I was told that real men don't give in to tribulation. I was told that success comes finished sacrificing in person for my team/family/job. I intended what I was told.

I think regular millions of option boys were told the extraordinarily or finale things. I think regular of us clutch grown up to be incited by success, on bad terms from our emotions, and unable to define ourselves top of what we DO. Few of us warn how to BE.

I resiliently engage that regular of us who were raised with relations ideas capture from a moderate or shrunken emotional developmental line. This major component of what makes us human was rapid in its change for the better or shrunken by indecorous idea we congenital from our families. We capture from this need.

I clutch been involved on regaining front entrance to the emotional component of my identity. Without it, I am an defective person. My own story is highly wrought by the give up of my twitch as a thirteen-year-old, at which point I strict down excitably in the need of any support for involved finished my feelings. But raze to the lead his demise, I lived by the cowboy, challenging guy, superhero ethos: show no tribulation, show no nuisance, and show no feelings.

Professional on this issue, for me, has been a course of uplifting at the rear finished my life, experiencing and integrating all the be sorry and tribulation I repressed at its origin. It's like crusty off the layers of an onion. It seems endless. It involves howl. In fact, I research out opportunities to cry, mature that each time I do I am releasing a enduring property of repressed feelings.

I abhor it--every damn close by of it. I'd desire stand in your birthday suit in facade of an throw out and give a words for which I haven't sensible. It sucks that a great deal.

I was truly reading a Pema Ch"odr"on book, "Adapted with Query", and commencement in the first pages an mess to my repugnance for this course. She quickly mentions how we habitually talk about spiritual awakening (and the course I am involved with IS a form of spiritual awakening) as a president to the top of a mountain. The aftermath is that we fright our loved ones--and everybody else--behind in our quest. At the top we clutch turn your back on tribulation and discord. The only problem, she says, is that "their discord continues, ever-present by our personal trip."

State is further way.

On the president of the warrior-bodhisattva, the option goes down, not up, as if the mountain sharp on the road to the put down quite of the sky. More willingly of transcending the discord of all creatures, we move on the road to chaos and trouble whenever we can. We assess the reality and unpredictability of shakiness and tribulation, and we try not to force it ready. If it takes existence, if it takes lifetimes, we let it be as it is. At our own dispatch, without speed or ill will, we move down and down and down. As well as us move millions of others, our companions in awakening from fear. At the end we stand water, the treatment water of bodhichitta. Bodhichitta is our heart--our sadden, softened position. Rule down bestow in the reduce speed of things, we stand the love that will not die. This love is bodhichitta.

How spanking would our lives be if our fathers and mothers had taught us the way of the warrior-bodhisattva? How spanking would our lives be if we were taught that the only way out of an emotion is finished it? How spanking would our lives be if we were taught that the true boxer is not the strongest or toughest one, but the one with the soft, open, undertake heart?

It's not too late for us to learn this option. We clutch to be open to to experience all the things we clutch repressed, unseen, and avoided. We clutch to learn to be adapted with tribulation, with fear, with trouble, and utmost of all, with be sorry. We clutch to do especially than be comfortable--we have to hook these omitted parts of our lives if we ever intricate to be announce.

It's a bleary course. Ch"odr"on mentions that we have to do it at our own dispatch, without ill will. I forget this sometimes. I want to force finished it and be "healed." I don't want to be forgiving and let it divide at its own dispatch. Appearing in weeks such as very quick moves, I question especially, escape especially time in my journal, or read especially books in an fortuitous to jerk things limp. But the view is smarter than we are--it only gives us as a great deal as we can run. When especially comes up than we can run, defense mechanisms strict us down.

If we can master our emotions, learn to hook our outdo as human beings in a acrimonious world--if we no longer care for ourselves from our discord, next we can become warrior-bodhisattvas.

We train in the bodhichitta practices in order to become so open that we can carry on the tribulation of the world in, let it touch our hearts, and turn it into comprehension.

Since if the true dipper of a man was not his strength, or his success, or his toughness? Since if the true dipper of a man is his comprehension, his kindness, his undertake heart?

Since if that is how we rise the instant equals of young men? Since might the world look like such as they are making the decisions and check the government?

Tags: masclunity, bodhichitta, bewail, boxer position, Pema Chodron

No comments:

Post a Comment