JellyPages.com | Books

Wednesday 3 September 2014

Rebel Puritan And The Reputed Wife By Jo Ann Butler

Rebel Puritan And The Reputed Wife By Jo Ann Butler
My love for colonial America is entrenched from 1963, later than To your house Geographic ran an article about Pompeii. I read the issue to shreds and made strategy to become an archeologist. Ten kick gone I worked on my first dig. Nonetheless it was in a Connecticut groan rural community, not Pompeii, I was bent fighting fit. A leg injury inevitable me out of the field, so I channeled my intense charm in colonial America into genealogy. Nearby I met Herodias (Want) Hicks Gardner Warden, my 8th-great grandmother from 17th century Rhode Coral island.

Genealogists began writing about Herodias in the 1880s, and their assessments of her character were sorry. alarming and undoubtedly appealing was the most favorable; colorful and peevish were aristocratic fashion. Herodias was alienated from her first husband, John Hicks, by Rhode Island's commissioner later than Hicks' make a mess of endangered Herodias' life. Splendidly, most genealogists sided with Hicks, who described his ex-wife as a whore. The aristocratic I explored Herodias' life, the aristocratic I was surely that she was maligned, and at home to tell Herodias' story from her point of view. Herodias married John Hicks later than she was only thirteen, and maybe he took bonus of a naive girl alienated from her family. George Gardner, Herodias' second husband and a prey of John Hicks' passion, may well hold on sheltered Herodias from John Hicks' beatings.

Genealogists clucked for example kick whilst she took up with George, Herodias sought a divorce from him. Why? While the couple had never been officially married, and George Gardner was not deliverance for their seven children. It's my impression that Herodias refused to wed, and become the things of newborn husband whilst her sad experience with John Hicks. She had watched him flee with their children and her legacy, legal acts under English law. Rhode Coral island was scandalized later than Herodias shown that she and George weren't married, but Herodias got her hostility. Herodias' neighbors were dull aristocratic flabbergasted later than she took up with an expensive man old bounty to be her boon. Quieten, John Warden made her seven Gardner his heirs, and Herodias' two Hicks children benefited from his district as well. Herodias assumed that George hadn't provided for her children, but Warden did righteous that.

Herodias Want steered her life in a way that few 17th century women did, in the company of royalty, and I love her for her watch. She put her body on the line in her encouragement of Quaker missionaries who were being whipped and tormented by New England's Puritans. Mature she faced the beating flagpole, Herodias walked sixty miles to grievance the spitefulness, was flogged and caged, and I love her for her impudence. I just had to go through about this redoubtable woman!

You can learn aristocratic about Herodias Want, and find Rebellion Puritan and The Alleged Other half, the first books in my Herodias Want trilogy at http://www.rebelpuritan.com/.

http://rebelpuritan.blogspot.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment